Sumary of Malfunctioning blood-brain barrier is linked to benign forgetfulness of aging:
- One of the keys to having a healthy brain at any age is having a healthy blood-brain barrier, a complex interface of blood vessels that run through the brain..
- William Banks, Study Lead Author and Gerontology Researcher, School of Medicine, University of Washington Banks is a researcher with the Geriatrics Research Education and Clinical Center at the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System The blood-brain barrier, discovered in the late 1800s, prevents the unregulated leakage of substances from blood into the brain..
- Increasingly, scientists have realized that the blood-brain barrier also allows many substances into the brain in a regulated way to serve the nutritional needs of the brain..
- A malfunctioning blood-brain barrier can contribute to diseases such as multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and even Alzheimer’s disease..
- Before scientists can understand how such malfunctioning can contribute to the diseases of aging, they need to understand how a healthy blood-brain barrier normally ages..
- Related Stories Research shows that healthy aging individuals have a very small leak in their blood-brain barrier..
- When a person carries the ApoE4 allele, the strongest genetic risk of Alzheimer’s risk, researchers said there is an acceleration of most of the blood-brain barrier age-related changes..
- With healthy aging, the pumps in the blood-brain barrier work less efficiently in getting rid of the amyloid beta peptide…