Sumary of Study examines risk factors for systemic lupus erythematosus development:
- August 09, 2021 2 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Disclosures: The authors report no relevant financial disclosures.
- Back to Healio Among patients with lupus erythematosus panniculitis resulting from cutaneous lupus erythematosus, male sex and discoid lupus erythematosus were risk factors for systemic lupus erythematosus development, according to a study.
- “Lupus erythematosus panniculitis (LEP) occurs in 1% to 3% of patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus (CLE),” Juliette Lemasson, MD, of the dermatology service at Hôpital Saint-Louis in Paris, and colleagues wrote.
- ” However, a knowledge gap exists in the differences between LEP in patients with or without systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- While just more than half of the group had isolated LEP, 39% had another CLE subtype, including 59% with discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) and 32% with SLE.
- Multivariate analysis results showed that SLE was significantly associated with male sex (OR = 8.29;