Sumary of Asymptomatic Woman Sheds Coronavirus For 70 Days, How Long Are You Contagious With Covid-19?:
- (Photo by ANNE-CHRISTINE POUJOULAT/AFP via Getty Images) AFP via Getty Images Staying isolated with a Covid-19 coronavirus infection for 10 days and maybe even for 20 days is doable..
- That a fairly lengthy period of time to remain contagious with the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV2) and much longer than the current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations to stay isolated for 10 or possibly up to 20 days when infected..
- Nevertheless, 70 days is how long a 71-year-old woman shed live and infectious Covid-19 coronavirus, according to a case report recently published in Cell..
- The subject of the Munster report was a patient at the Life Care Center rehabilitation facility in Kirkland, Washington..
- When a Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak occurred in late February at the facility, residents at the facility underwent screening for the virus..
- The virus persisted despite treatment with convalescent plasma, which as I described for Forbes previously is the liquid portion of blood from those who have had Covid-19 coronavirus infections but have recovered..
- Testing revealed that live infectious virus was no longer present in the upper respiratory tract after a second round of convalescent plasma, although it difficult to tell if the treatment actually helped..
- That because studies have found that some patients, especially those more severely ill from Covid-19, may continue to shed live virus well beyond a single Scaramucci….