Sumary of Covid-19 vaccine candidate is 90% effective, says manufacturer:
- A vaccine against Covid-19 is in sight, with the announcement of the first interim results in large-scale trials showing the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate is 90% effective, according to the manufacturers, whose analysis shows a much better performance than most experts had hoped for..
- Regulators have said they would approve a vaccine that is just 50% effective – protecting half those who get it..
- The first set of results from our phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine trial provides the initial evidence of our vaccine ability to prevent Covid-19,”.
- “We are reaching this critical milestone in our vaccine development program at a time when the world needs it most with infection rates setting new records, hospitals nearing over-capacity and economies struggling to reopen.”.
- The trial will continue until there have been 164 confirmed cases so there is potential for the efficacy rate to change, but a finding that 90% of infections were prevented will excite politicians and public health leaders and brings into view a potential end to the pandemic…