Sumary of India’s COVID-19 crisis: As feds pledge $10M, here’s how Canadians can help:
- As India health-care system continues to be pushed to the brink of collapse amid a surge of COVID-19 cases, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday that Canada is set to donate $10 million to the Indian Red Cross as well as provide personal protective equipment (PPE) and ventilators..
- Trudeau talked about the “heartbreaking news from hospitals in India that are unable to keep up with the number of patients”.
- and said Canada Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau has spoken with the Indian government on how Canada can help..
- As COVID-19 cases explode in India, Canada ready to help with medical supplies, Anand says Countries across the world, including Canada, have pledged to help India as the country continues to grapple with COVID-19 cases and deaths, with hospitals running out of oxygen, ventilators, beds and life-saving medicine..
- Procurement Minister Anita Anand said on Tuesday she has been in touch with the high commissioner in India to “ascertain the precise supplies that are needed in India and how best Canada can support the needs that India clearly has.”.
- As the federal government prepares to send funds and equipment to India, here is a list of organizations through which Canadians can help as well:.
- The Canadian Red Cross is offering support to the Indian Red Cross to deliver assistance and support to communities affected or at risk of being affected by the virus..
- This includes communication and community engagement, COVID-19 preparedness, response and recovery activities in India, according to its website..
- Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere (CARE), a global humanitarian agency that helps in delivering emergency relief, has been working in India to provide on-the-ground resources during the crisis..
- Sewa International, a nonprofit organization that specializes in disaster relief and rehabilitation, said it is sending an initial shipment of 400 oxygen concentrators and other emergency medical devices and supplies to India and is working on procuring more from multiple suppliers around the world..
- Associating for India Development (AID) is accepting donations for its India COVID-19 relief fund which goes towards face shields, food supplies and educational materials..
- Give2Asia, a U.S.-based nonprofit organization, started a COVID-19 relief fund for India, which helps support local charities..
- 4:50 International concern over India COVID crisis International concern over India COVID crisis Project Mumbai and GiveIndia are supporting a fundraising initiative to help restore the country health infrastructure..
- Oxfam India is distributing medical equipment and accessories, PPE, safety kits, and food to hospitals and health centres..
- Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontieres) is working with the Indian government to treat COVID-19 patients as well as provide masks and sanitizer to health-care workers…