Sumary of More than 50% of patients with COVID-19 positive for antiphospholipid antibodies:
- A significant proportion of patients with COVID-19 — up to 52% by one metric — are at least transiently positive for potentially pathogenic antiphospholipid autoantibodies, according to a speaker at ACR Convergence..
- Yu Zuo, MD, a physician scientist in the field of antiphospholipid syndrome and COVID-19 at the University of Michigan, told attendees at the virtual meeting..
- “More than half of hospitalized COVID-19 patients have positive antiphospholipid antibodies, particularly a non-criteria antiphospholipid antibodies anti- phosphatidylserine/prothrombin,”.
- Adobe Stock “Antiphospholipid syndrome is an acquired thromboinflammatory disorder, characterized by recurrent thromboembolic events and pregnancy loss,”.
- “APS patients form antiphospholipid antibodies, and these antibodies can activate endothelial cells, platelets and neutrophils, thereby promoting thrombus formation..
- There are small case reports and series that suggest that antiphospholipid autoantibodies might be present in COVID-19 patients, and they may contribute to thrombosis.”.
- To measure antiphospholipid autoantibodies in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 and analyze whether purified IgG fractions from these patients had prothrombotic properties in vitro and in vivo, Zuo and colleagues examined sera from 172 participants..
- Samples were assessed for eight types of antiphospholipid autoantibodies, including anticardiolipin IgG/IgM/IgA, anti-beta-2 glycoprotein I IgG/IgM/IgA, and anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin (PS/PT) IgG/IgM..
- IgG fractions were then purified from patients with COVID-19 with various profiles of antiphospholipid autoantibodies..
- According to the researchers, 23% of participants demonstrated anticardiolipin IgM antibodies, 24% had anti-PS/PT IgG and 18% had anti-PS/PT IgM in 18%..
- In all, 52% demonstrated any antiphospholipid autoantibodies, based on the manufacturer threshold, while 30% had them using a more stringent cutoff of at least 40 units..
- For example, anti-PS/PT IgM levels were significantly linked with neutrophil activation, circulating NETs and more severe respiratory disease (P = .03)….