Sumary of Researchers compare rhesus and cynomolgus macaques for SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trials:
- The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the agent that has sparked the current coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic..
- Two primate species from the same Macaca genus – rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) and cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis) – are being widely used in biomedical research and have served as models for SARS-CoV-2 infection..
- Meanwhile, ferrets have been long used to study the pathology and transmission of respiratory viruses, such as influenza viruses..
- To best appreciate the potential of the various macaque species as SARS-CoV-2 infection models, a thorough characterization of the course of infection is needed,”.
- The study Related Stories The study, which is available on the preprint bioRxiv* server, highlights the course of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the two genetically close-related macaque species..
- They also compared SARS-CoV-2 replication in cynomolgus macaque species and monitored signs of COVID-19 infection for three weeks after infection….