Sumary of Study shows oxidant hydrogen peroxide can actually slow down cell ageing:
- Reviewed by Emily Henderson, B.Sc.Nov 9 2020 At high concentrations, reactive oxygen species – known as oxidants – are harmful to cells in all organisms and have been linked to ageing..
- One benefit of antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E, is that they neutralise reactive oxygen species – known as oxidants – which may otherwise react with important molecules in the body and destroy their biological functions..
- Our cells have therefore developed powerful defence mechanisms to get rid of these oxidants, which are formed in our normal metabolism..
- Previous studies of these enzymes have shown that they participate in yeast cells’ defences against harmful oxidants..
- The fact that researchers have now come to a step closer to understanding the mechanisms behind how oxidants can actually slow down the ageing process could lead to new studies, for example looking for peroxiredoxin-stimulating drugs, or testing whether age-related diseases can be slowed by other drugs that enhance the positive effects of oxidants in the body…