Sumary of Suicide figures show no increase in rate in NSW or Victoria during Covid:
- Contrary to some community fears, the Covid-19 pandemic has not seen a rise in suicides in either Victoria or New South Wales..
- ‘I was spiralling out of control’ The state government is spending $87m over three years on suicide prevention initiatives, including the new system, which will send up-to-date data to health and support services so they can respond appropriately..
- In August an investigation from Victoria coroners court showed that 466 Victorians had died by suicide in 2020, compared with 468 people in the same period last year..
- According to the NSW data, those fears have yet to materialise, which Murray said could be attributed to government “protective measures”..
- “These include the NSW government significant investment in scaling up mental health and suicide prevention services, coupled with the commonwealth government support for jobkeeper and jobseeker,”…